Re: Nautilus CD burner

On Fri, 2004-04-23 at 11:54, Keir Lawson wrote:

> > What is the output of the following commands?:
> >
> > cdrecord -scanbus
> > cdrecord -scanbus dev=ATAPI

> as normal user:
>
> cdrecord -scanbus:
>
> NOTE: this version of cdrecord is an inofficial (modified) release of
> cdrecord
>       and thus may have bugs that are not present in the original
> version.
>       Please send bug reports and support requests to
> <cdrtools@packages.debian.org>.
>       The original author should not be bothered with problems of this
> version.
>
> cdrecord: Permission denied. Cannot open '/dev/sg0'. Cannot open SCSI
> driver.
> cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you
> are root.
> cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.
> cdrecord:
> cdrecord: For more information, install the cdrtools-doc
> cdrecord: package and read /usr/share/doc/cdrecord/README.ATAPI.setup .
>
> cdrecord -scanbus dev=ATAPI:
>
> NOTE: this version of cdrecord is an inofficial (modified) release of
> cdrecord
>       and thus may have bugs that are not present in the original
> version.
>       Please send bug reports and support requests to
> <cdrtools@packages.debian.org>.
>       The original author should not be bothered with problems of this
> version.
>
> scsidev: 'ATAPI'
> devname: 'ATAPI'
> scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
> Warning: Using ATA Packet interface.
> Warning: The related libscg interface code is in pre alpha.
> Warning: There may be fatal problems.
> cdrecord: Permission denied. Cannot open SCSI driver.
> cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you
> are root.
> cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.
> cdrecord:
> cdrecord: For more information, install the cdrtools-doc
> cdrecord: package and read /usr/share/doc/cdrecord/README.ATAPI.setup .

Thats interesting...I can do that without switching to root. Try looking
at the output of the id command.

I have a sneaking suspicion that is that you dont have permission to
read and write to your CD device. I dont want to hand out the answer to
a good practice problem like this one, so here's your homework ;o)

Check the permissions of the device representing your CD-RW drive and
decide what you will have to do to give yourself access to the device.
Hint: you shouldnt have to modify the permissions of the device itself.

> as root:
>
> cdrecord -scanbus:
>
> NOTE: this version of cdrecord is an inofficial (modified) release of
> cdrecord
>       and thus may have bugs that are not present in the original
> version.
>       Please send bug reports and support requests to
> <cdrtools@packages.debian.org>.
>       The original author should not be bothered with problems of this
> version.
>
> Linux sg driver version: 3.1.25
> Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
> scsibus0:
>         0,0,0     0) 'LITE-ON ' 'LTR-32123S      ' 'XS0R' Removable
> CD-ROM
>         0,1,0     1) *
>         0,2,0     2) *
>         0,3,0     3) *
>         0,4,0     4) *
>         0,5,0     5) *
>         0,6,0     6) *
>         0,7,0     7) *
>
> cdrecord -scanbus -dev=ATAPI:
>
> [?]
> NOTE: this version of cdrecord is an inofficial (modified) release of
> cdrecord
>       and thus may have bugs that are not present in the original
> version.
>       Please send bug reports and support requests to
> <cdrtools@packages.debian.org>.
>       The original author should not be bothered with problems of this
> version.
>
> scsidev: 'ATAPI'
> devname: 'ATAPI'
> scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
> Warning: Using ATA Packet interface.
> Warning: The related libscg interface code is in pre alpha.
> Warning: There may be fatal problems.
> cdrecord: ERROR: unknow subsystem (scd0) in (/dev/sr0)
> Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
> scsibus0:
>         0,0,0     0) 'MT1316B ' 'BDV212B         ' '0.43' Removable
> CD-ROM
>         0,1,0     1) *
>         0,2,0     2) *
>         0,3,0     3) *
>         0,4,0     4) *
>         0,5,0     5) *
>         0,6,0     6) *
>         0,7,0     7) *
>

> > What have you done to investigate the problem to date?

> not much as my fstab entry was wrong, xcd-roast did detect it as a scsi
> device, leading me to belive that my fstab entry was correct

I think you've got the wrong idea of what /etc/fstab is for. Take a look
at man mount, man fstab.

-davidc