Two keyboards, XF86config, putty and console

The most strange thing is happening: Right now I am writting this from
a remote login, through putty, without any X forwarding. In XF86Config
I have two keyboard layouts, es and en, which I switch by pressing alt
and shift. Well, I just discover that I am able to switch keyboards
through putty from a windows machine, from my office.
Really strange!!!
I will try from Control Alt F1 from home to see if the dual keyboard
config is general, not only X related.
Strange....