Re: To mbox or not, that is the question! (fwd)

On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 11:26:48PM -0400, Mike M wrote:
| On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 10:52:24PM +0100, Jonathan Dowland wrote:
| > On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 11:37:17PM +0200, Richard Lyons wrote:
| >
| > > I'm puzzled.  I have tried creating sub-"folders" in kmail, both as mbox
| > > and as maildir.  I also tried manually creating subdirectories.  The
| > > results I seemed to get were:
| > >  - Kmail can't see the manually produced subdirecctories.
| > >  - Mutt can see them but only when no mail in either format is
| > >    present in the directory.
| > >
| > > I guess I did something wrong.
| >
| > No probably not - although I haven't experimented with this myself prior
| > to posting (too tired); as I remember you can still access subdir'd
| > maildirs. After all, your Mail/foo are $HOME/Mail/foo, so
| > $HOME/Mail/blah/foo isn't any different,
| >
| > provided blah isn't a Maildir itself, at least.
| >
| > But even then, as I remember, c ~/Mail/blah/foo <enter> worked for me.
| >
| > You're perhaps correct in noticing that mutt won't offer up subdirs in
| > this fashion through its menus, or with = shortcuts.
|
| I went from kmail to mutt and noticed the support for folder hierarchy
| in kmail is "special" and has hidden files associated with it.  I was
| using mbox in kmail and I am now using Maildir in mutt.

Aha.  That explains a lot.  The mbox format does not allow for a mail
folder to contain both messages and subfolders.  Apparently kmail
follows courier-imap's lead in how the on-disk store differs from the
end-user presentation of the data.  The Maildir format does allow for
a folder to contain both messages and subfolders, as long as the
subfolders do not have the name 'new', 'cur' or 'tmp'.  mutt doesn't
do any fancy tricks to make the on-disk layout of the folders appear
to be different than it really is.

| I created the illusion of folder hierarchy in mutt/Maildir

There is no need for an illusion in mutt, unless that illusion is
necessitated by kmail (or courier-imap).

| Before I could use mutt to read the mbox folder system, I had to
| manually convert the folder names to non-hidden names.

This is not quite true.  mutt doesn't care what the folders are named
or where on disk they are.  However, the visual navigation in mutt may
hide "hidden" files and directories.  (I don't know for certain
because I never use mutt's visual navigation features)

Anyways, now that you've explained how kmail stored the folders
on-disk it all makes sense :-).

-D

--
"...In the UNIX world, people tend to interpret `non-technical user' as
meaning someone who's only ever written one device driver."