Re: To mbox or not, that is the question! (fwd)

On Sun, Apr 25, 2004 at 02:16:13PM +0530, Deboo wrote:
>    What is the best way to use such big mailboxes? I
>    do not like to convert to maildirs, I'm using mbox format. Though
>    I heard that maildir is faster, isn't it harder to backup or carry
>    around? Just a single mbox file is easy to carry if need be. But anyway,
>    what's the best way to use large mailbixes?

Well if its a large mail box then you are more than likely going to need
to process the mbox file using say bzip2 or gzip before moving it around.
Using maildir just means you call tar instead (which will call bzip2 or
gzip for you given a command line flag); so I don't think its any harder
to use.

The best way is Maildir, with a header caching patch.

--
Jon Dowland
http://jon.dowland.name/