Re: To mbox or not, that is the question! (fwd)

This is a page that benchmarks mbox vs. maildir files:

http://www.courier-mta.org/mbox-vs-maildir/

It's got some interesting results. Personally I keep gigabytes of mail in mbox files on an IMAP server, and organize each folder by year (so I have an Archives_2003, Archives_2002) and performance has not been a problem yet.

	Luke Reeves
	http://www.neuro-tech.net/

Deboo wrote:
   I'm subscribed to lots of mailing lists. I use mutt for email. Now
   using emacs, I use mutt within emacs since I use IMAP and find it
   hard to use gnus (which kinda behaves like pine, being
   news-oriented). I archive some mailing lists and have some
   mailboxes, going nearly over 40MBs or more. Now loading mutt within
   emacs and loading such a big mailbox, loads okay but makes mutt
   slow under emacs.

   What is the best way to use such big mailboxes? I
   do not like to convert to maildirs, I'm using mbox format. Though
   I heard that maildir is faster, isn't it harder to backup or carry
   around? Just a single mbox file is easy to carry if need be. But anyway,
   what's the best way to use large mailbixes?

Regards,
Deboo