Re: First Debian install was a fiasco

On Sun, Apr 25, 2004 at 17:02:09 +0200, Tim wrote:
> I'm new to Debian and have some questions.

> I didn't know how to find out which version of a package was in which
> branch. I still don't know how to do it,

"apt-cache policy <packagename>"

> but I decided to be brave and install KDE 3.2.x, so I went "apt-get -t
> unstable install kde"

The name "unstable" is meant to convey amongst other things that it is not
meant for new users.

> and hell started.

Hmm... there must be a nice Hellraiser metaphor in this.

> After some forcing and trial and error, I know this is not the way to do
> it, but I still don't know what is. Can anybody tell me what I did wrong

Trying to use "unstable" as a new user.

> and what I should do?

Try to run "testing" perhaps. Or stick with "stable" a little while longer
until you feel more confident using the package management system. Read
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html and reconsider if
"hell started" is the kind of feedback that helps developers to improve the
system so that others will have a better experience in the future.

HTH,
Ray
--
LWN normally tries to avoid talking much about Microsoft - it is simply
irrelevant to the free software world most of the time.