Re: What is a simple-to-install non-CUPS printer

On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 11:51:04AM -0400, David Morse wrote:
} Let me revise this: the printer must not use CUPS.  I've been burned by
} it twice now, never again.
[...]

That's exceptionally foolish. CUPS is the best way to interact with a
printer on *nix. Its web-based frontend is easy and sufficient for
most common setups (printers with working drivers which are directly
connected to the machine -- to see which printers are well-supported,
see linuxprinting.org). If you don't like the web frontend you can try
KDE's frontend, which is actually more featureful and even easier to
use.

If you want a window to magically pop up when you plug in a printer,
feel free to develop such software (note that this is only possible,
AFAIK, with a USB printer and the right kernel modules). You might even
find KDE's frontend a good starting point.

--Greg