Re: What is a simple to install printer

No.
It's not the same, it's slightly different.

David Morse wrote:

Hi there,
I need a cheap printer, where toner refils don't cost an arm and a leg.
 Print quality and color are optional.  But the prime criterion needs
to be "software configurable in a nano-second by an impatient newbie".

Hello David,

Nothing on this planet meets your last criterion.

The last printer I bought was an Epson Stylus Color 740i,

These people don't seem to think that there is anything wrong with your
printer.
Sorry, should have included this:- http://linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Epson-Stylus_Color_740

which fit all
the criteria above except the last.  I apt-got all the packages I could
think of, but 90% of the time it prints out postscript source code, and
I couldn't even begin to figure out where to go for help.

It took me thirty seconds.

  I'm selling
that one for scrap,

It's too good for that. Give it to a non-profit or someone else who
deserves it.

starting over, and irrationally

Yes.

blaming CUPS to
comfort my bruised ego.

So, what printer(s) does apt-get install XXXX just make it work?

Cups installed my cheap Canon BJC1000SP, and the BJC1000 standard driver
suits it perfectly.

Thanks,
Dave.

Regards,