Re: Can´t configure XF86 - a newbi really in the need for some help

On Saturday 24 April 2004 05:39 am, Andrei Badea wrote:
> Christel Schultz wrote:
> > Hallo,
> >
> > I have installed x-window-system and desk environment om my Fujitsu XS,
> > PIII, with monitor Compal M770 (both from around 1999).
> >
> > I think I have put most of the parameters right using dexconf and the
> > screen starts up nicely with driver "vga", the mouse and the keyboard
> > works fine and colours looks fine. But, the picture is terribly
> > enlarged, about ten times too big,  and I find no way to "zoom out" to
> > adapt it to the size of the monitor. I have tried the rest of the
> > drivers, but of them only vesa works but in a very distorted way e g
> > displaying date and time around the screen when i move around the mouse
> > (though the picture fits better).
>
> This may be a timings problem. Try to read
>
> http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/html_single/XFree
>86-Video-Timings-HOWTO.html
>
> and play around with xvidtune. But beware, I'm pretty new to Linux, so I
> might be wrong.
>
> --
> Andrei
This is a common problem that is resolved by tuning the x-server config file.
You have not given nearly enough info for anyone to offer specific help. What
x-server are you using? What version of Debian are you using? What display
mamager are you using?...Gnome, KDE, Blackbox, etc???
If the x-server is running you are NOT really too far off. What is in your
current file /etc/X11/XF86Config-4  . My guess is that this is a virtual
desktop size issue.
--
John Foster