Re: Can´t configure XF86 - a newbi really in the need for some help

Christel Schultz wrote:

Hallo,
I have installed x-window-system and desk environment om my Fujitsu XS, PIII, with monitor Compal M770 (both from around 1999). I think I have put most of the parameters right using dexconf and the screen starts up nicely with driver "vga", the mouse and the keyboard works fine and colours looks fine. But, the picture is terribly enlarged, about ten times too big, and I find no way to "zoom out" to adapt it to the size of the monitor. I have tried the rest of the drivers, but of them only vesa works but in a very distorted way e g displaying date and time around the screen when i move around the mouse (though the picture fits better).

This may be a timings problem. Try to read

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/html_single/XFree86-Video-Timings-HOWTO.html

and play around with xvidtune. But beware, I'm pretty new to Linux, so I might be wrong.

--
Andrei