icecast with liveice-xmms

hey all,

trying to be geeky about this party my roommate & i are throwing
tonight, i'm trying to set up a stream from my computer that she can
tap into with her little, about-to-kick-the bucked, OS 8.6-running mac
from the living room.  i've installed the debian packages icecast2 and
xmms-liveice, and have been poking through the documentation on both
of them.  i think i've got icecast2 set up the way i want it, but
xmms-liveice has just about no useful documentation[1], and the
icecast2 docs[2], after being useful wrt setting icecast2 itself up,
just say:

    Once you have configured your source client, you should be able to
    connect it to the icecast server. Verify that it is connected by
    hitting the stats.xml URL that was mentioned above.

um.  how do i configure the source client?  i can access the plugin
configuration dialog through xmms, but i'm not sure how to create a
stream, and once i've done that, how to connect it to the icecast
server.

another technical question that i'm sure i know the answer to, but
have just forgotten how to think about:

if i'm streaming oggs with liveice, can my roommate, who can't play
oggs on her ancient mac, stream my stream?  i think liveice takes care
of this for me:

    The LiveIce plugin takes audio coming out of XMMS, processes it
    with an MP3 encoder, and sends this to an Icecast server, so other
    people can listen to your cool tunes! Requires an external MP3
    encoder, such as LAME which can be had at http://www.mp3dev.org/

so what it's saying is that i just need to play stuff in xmms, and it
will encode it into mp3 format and send that along to icecast --
right?

wouldn't be a party without a bit of last-minute geekery,

</nori>

[1] http://star.arm.ac.uk/~spm/software/liveice_usage.html is all i
    could find

[2] http://www.icecast.org/files/icecast_docs/icecast2_basicsetup.html