new net install works, but sound is LOUD

Just got my friends new computer working, using the net install.

Everything is working as advertised, except that the sound in KDE is
very LOUD. Before I left last night, I used aumix to mute, adjust, just
plain abuse the sounds system. No affect

It had no affect on xmms, nor from the command line playing wavs or
mp3s.

What other selections, suggestions are there?

Thanks

--
Rodney D. Myers <rdmyers@MtPalomar.net>
Registered Linux User #96112