Re: mouse suddenly behaving strangely

Sounds to me as if you need to replace the battery.

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 at 2:52am, Pigeon wrote:

:On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 03:33:54PM +0100, Dave Howorth wrote:
:> Hello,
:>
:> My mouse just started behaving strangely, although I haven't done
:> anything, to the best of my knowledge. Hopefully somebody will have an
:> idea what to try!
:>
:> I was using my system (woody) as I have for the past many months when
:> the mouse suddenly froze. It's a Logitech cordless M-RN66, plugged in
:> via the PS/2 port.  I hadn't changed anything immediately prior to the
:> freeze, for that matter I haven't changed any system level things for
:> quite a while.
:>
:> I rebooted into Windows 2000 and the mouse was frozen there too. I
:> switched to another mouse (corded PS/2 Logitech M-CAA43), pushing the
:> connector in and out a few times to clean it.  I booted into Windows
:> again and it appeared to work.  I rebooted into Debian and now have
:> weird behaviour. The pointer starts in the centre of the screen but as
:> soon as I start moving the mouse around it jumps to the bottom left. If
:> I move the mouse up and right, the pointer tracks up and right for a few
:> inches and then jumps back to the bottom left corner again.
:>
:> Feels like a hardware problem to me - has anybody seen these symptoms
:> before?
:
:It might be the X-doesn't-reset-the-mouse bug which tends to show up
:in dual-boot situations. What happens is that X doesn't reset the
:mouse before trying to initialise it. If it's already been initialised
:by Windoze it then doesn't respond correctly to the initialisation
:sequence that X sends it. To get it going again reset the mouse by hand:
:
:- kill X
:echo -ne '\377' > /dev/psaux
:- restart X
:
:

--
Patrick Wiseman                               pwiseman@mindspring.com
Linux user #17943                             *Google First, Ask Later*