Re: Firewal, Mail and Name server

On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 08:38:49AM +0100, Keith O'Connell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want build a firewall into an old PC.
Hi Keith,

look for 'firestarter'.

I also want to use it to gather mail from various ISP accounts

look for 'fetchmail' and 'procmail'

and serve it out to a local group of 5 users.
I want the 5 users to be able to mail each other within the local network.
no problem.
I dont *need* this, I just *want* to do this to see how it all works.

> The computer is an AMD K-7 with 128Mb Ram, 10Gb drive and two 8139too type NIC

Seems good enought.

> The questions I have are
>
> 1: Is the computer likly to be equal to the task(s)?

Yes.

> 2: Is it acceptable/sensible to have a firewall double as a mail server?

Yes, as long as the machine is up to the task. And it is.

Step one is get the machine setup with debian. Grab the
'debian-installer' or net install or an wood iso. Then email us is you get
stuck.
-Kev