Re: grub/dual-boot problem

On Thu, 2004-04-22 at 14:09, Richard Weil wrote:
> I don't have the machine in front of me, but I'm
> nealry certain that I don't have "savedefault" set. I
> believe my grub entry for win xp was essentially the
> same as what is shown in the grub docs:
>
> title win
> root  (hd0,1)
> makeactive
> chainloader +1
>
> I set root to (hd0,1), which is the /boot directory
> (and where grub lives). Perhaps this is wrong, but I
> interpret "root" in the context of grub to basically
> mean grub's root.

Based on the partition listing you gave in your original message, grub
should be set up as follows:

Windows: root (hd0,0)
Debian:  root (hd0,2)

Keep in mind that in grub, partition 1 is actually 0, 2 is 1, 3 is 2,
and so on.

Since you said that the computer goes directly into Windows, I'm
wondering if grub is kicking in at all? If you see "GRUB" on the screen
when you boot, you can try holding left shift while booting to get the
boot menu. The other possibility is that Windows overwrote your
bootloader. This happened to me before, but you said you installed
Debian AFTER you installed Windows, so this shouldn't be an issue.

But if you don't see grub at all, this could be the problem. If that's
the case, you'll need to boot off of either a recovery disk or your
Debian install disk and re-run grub-install and update-grub.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837