Re: serious apt error after aptitude catastrophe

On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 12:03:40AM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
> Matt Price <matt.price@utoronto.ca> writes:
>
> > tried switching to aptitude and, while I was't looking, aptitude
> > started to uninstall a whole slew of fundamental packages from my
> > computer!
>
> You did that.  Aptitude warned you about this after the first time you
> hit g.  You told aptitude that it's idea of whats going to happen is
> correct and it g to go ahead anyway.  In the future, pay attention to
> what your computer is telling you.  8:o)

fair enough, I'll stop blaming aptitude... but I don't REMEMBER seeing
the long list of red-coded packages aptitude must have presented me
with...  oh well.

> > /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.3.2.ds1-11_powerpc.deb (--unpack):
> >  trying to overwrite `/etc/default/devpts', which is also in package
> > initscripts
> > Errors were encountered while processing:
> >  /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.3.2.ds1-11_powerpc.deb
>
> dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.3.2.ds1-11_powerpc.deb

thank you.  should have looked harder in man (tho with the pagers
missing it waas a bit tricky to consult...  ). thanks to you and
dircha both.