Courier IMAP directory structure with Exim

Hi,

Out of the box, Courrier IMAP works very easily with exim when delivering mail
to local users $HOME/Maildir.  I followed

http://www.flatmtn.com/computer/Linux-Imap-Courier.html

However when connecting via IMAP to the server, you cannot create directories
on the level of the IMAP account, subdirectories can only be created in the
inbox.  I tried to deliver mail via Exim to $HOME/Maildir/.Inbox however the
IMAP server did not recognise it as a Maildir directory - even though I ran
makemaildir for it (actuall same effect as sending myself a mail via exim as
exim creates the directory).

Does anyone know how to move the inbox directory down a directory?  Courier
docs are no help.

Tom