[OT] Populating LDAP

Greetings kind debian folk,

I've heard a bit about LDAP and am curious if it'll work for a central
contacts database for a network of both Windows and Debian users.  I
have managed to get OpenLDAP installed with Berkeley Database, both
installed from source (after failing to get the debian slapd and
ldap-utils packages to work).  I've gone through the quick start guide
on OpenLDAP.org and have gone through Linux Magazine's Exploring LDAP
(part 1).  I've googled a bit, too, and am having a hard time finding
out how best to populate the LDAP database with the contents of my
addressbook.

Must I use ldapadd with ldif files to populate it?

Anyone know of a user-friendly, lightweight Windows and/or Linux client
that can be used to add individual records to the LDAP database?

Many thanks for your time,

Eric.