Re: How to 'apt-cache search'&'apt-file search' by distr

Just a thought. Do I need to edit my /etc/apt/sources.list (I assume
aptitude is using this too) prior to checking out packages in other
distributions? i.e. do I need to add url for sid in the sources.list
if I want to check out packages in experimental?

Thanks !
PS. Presently I only have URLs in sources.list referencing to testing
branch.

users@linuxforums.org wrote:
> apt-cache show
> fontconfigDisplays fontconfig version to be
> 2.2.2-1
>
> aptitude show ~Astable
> ~nfontconfig
> [code:1:565f94e986]aptitude show ~Aunstable
> ~nfontconfig[/code:1:565f94e986]
> [code:1:565f94e986]aptitude show ~Aexperimental
> ~nfontconfig[/code:1:565f94e986]
>
> All the above three display fontconfig version to be
> 2.2.2-2.
>
> Does that mean fontconfig is version 2.2.2-2 in all distributions?
Why
> the difference in version displayed by apt-cache and aptitude?

That's odd. It certainly may be an error in aptitude. fontconfig
apparently does not exist in stable. Because joining the two search
options as you have is supposed to AND the result of each, in the case

of ~Astable, nothing should be returned.

Also, I'm not sure how to explain the difference in version number
reported, although it may arise from the following situation reported
by
packages.debian.org:

Package fontconfig
     * testing (utils): generic font configuration library
       2.2.2-2: alpha arm hppa i386 ia64 m68k mips mipsel powerpc s390

                sparc
     * unstable (utils): generic font configuration library
       2.2.2-2: alpha arm hppa i386 ia64 m68k mips mipsel powerpc
s390
                sparc
       2.2.2-1: hurd-i386

fontconfig is still at version 2.2.2-1 on the hurd-i386 platform.
apt-cache must be reporting this version, while aptitude is reporting

the version for the remaining platforms.

These appear to be errors and inconsistencies in aptitude. I don't
know
what else to tell you. I was not aware of these before.

I will check the bug list for the package and report this if it has
not
been already.

dircha