Re: How to 'apt-cache search'&'apt-file search' by distr

users@linuxforums.org wrote:
Just a thought. Do I need to edit my /etc/apt/sources.list (I assume
aptitude is using this too) prior to checking out packages in other
distributions? i.e. do I need to add url for sid in the sources.list
if I want to check out packages in experimental?

Yes, aptitude uses your /etc/apt/sources.list as well. 'aptitude search' searches the local cache created by 'aptitude update'. Only packages in repositories listed in /etc/apt/sources.list are available to search or install.

If you are using packages from experimental, you may need to list the unstable/sid repository. experimental, as you might know, isn't a complete distribution. Packages in experimental may need to satisfy dependencies from unstable/sid.

dircha