Re: Debian Backup ?

on Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 09:01:17AM +0800, Support (support@leaderuniversal.com) wrote:
> Hi! Debian Users
>

> How to make a hole Debian O/S backup if I don't have any Backup
> Device..?

Depends on what you mean by 'backup', and what specifically you're
guarding against (what's your threat model).

I provide some slightly dated information on backups at the following:

    http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Linux/FAQs/backups.html

Note that it's the stategy of what to back up that you should focus on:
system and user state.  The OS at large, as several people have
indicated, can be recovered (if you've saved package state) from any
Debian archive.

In general:  keep regularly updated copies of your critical data on some
remote system.  Despite advances in other options, I *still* strongly
recommend tape as the best serious option, though small savesets can be
made to CDR or DVDR, and networked disk can make for useful nearline
storage.

None of these is, however, a comprehensive, archival, sitewide damage /
disaster / sabotage recovery solution.  For that you need full, offsite,
and regularly updated tape backups.

Peace.

    I've got my country's 500th anniversary to plan, my wedding to arrange,
    my wife to murder, and Gilder to frame for it. I'm swamped!
    - Princess Bride