Re: Moving from XP and looking for replacement programs

On Sun, Apr 18, 2004 at 05:49:45PM -0400, Ralph Katz wrote:
> On 04/17/04 10:00, Penbrock wrote:
> >I want to make the jump from XP to Debian with KDE. I have a few programs I
> >am trying to find Linux replacements for and am having a hard time. Can
> >anyone help me find replacements for these programs?
> >
> >NewsRover (Auto download messages and attachments from selected newsgroups)
There are many. Some are text based, some gui. gmame, pan, tin,nn ...

> >DVD X copy (Backup DVD movies)
look into k3b, again there are many to rip vob files and other cd/dvd
things.

> >Creastive PlayStation  ( Used to rip audio CDs)
Many here. k3b is one.

> >Weather Bug (Local weather on the task bar)
There are a few I know of for Kde and Windowmaker window managers.

> >MailWasher (anti spam program)
Most people use a compination of programs: procmail, avavis,
clamav,spamassasin,...

> >Ad-aware (spy ware remover)
Not needed.

> >Nero Burn (CD/DVD bruning program)
K3b.

> >Norton Anti-virus ( Is this even needed with Linux?)
Not need for linux but will be needed if you forward email to windows
clients or use linux as a mail gateway for windows clients.

> >DRIVERS FOR:
> >	Soundblaster Audigy
This is a very new one. Might have a problem with it.
> >	Lexmark Z13
Not sure. also try linux-printing.org (not sure of the exact name:
google for 'linux printing)
> >	Canon i560
Is this a printer or a camera or scanner.
If a printer, see above.

cheers,
-Kev