MySqld [problem]

When trying to start mysqld I get the following error

#safe_mysqld
Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/lib/mysql
/usr/bin/safe_mysqld: line 275: 32649 Segmentation fault      $NOHUP_NICENESS
$ledir/$MYSQLD $defaults --basedir=$MY_BASEDIR_VERSION --datadir=$DATADIR
$USER_OPTION --pid-file=$pid_file --skip-locking >>$err_log 2>&1
040419 22:08:23  mysqld ended

This happened after I upgraded mysql and perl with apt-get -u upgrade, so it
is hopefully understandable if I am starting to doubt the debian package
manager.
I am @ my wits end, so sorry if someone saw one of my previous posts.

Mozzi

--