Re: Moving from XP and looking for replacement programs

On Sun, Apr 18, 2004 at 05:49:45PM -0400, Ralph Katz wrote:
> On 04/17/04 10:00, Penbrock wrote:
> >I want to make the jump from XP to Debian with KDE. I have a few programs I
> >am trying to find Linux replacements for and am having a hard time. Can
> >anyone help me find replacements for these programs?
> >
> >NewsRover (Auto download messages and attachments from selected newsgroups)
> >
> >DVD X copy (Backup DVD movies)

k3b does it AFAIK, also some command line tools which I believe k3b
uses. IIRC it requires ripping and reencoding compressed as most
commercial DVDs are more the 4.5G which is the size of the commercially
available DRV-R (don't own a dvd burner so not sure about this)

> >Creative PlayStation  ( Used to rip audio CDs)

ripperx, grip

> >Weather Bug (Local weather on the task bar)
> >
> >MailWasher (anti spam program)

spam assassin

> >Ad-aware (spy ware remover)

Not much of an issue. People need to actually break in for that, but
chkrootkit does that. Don't get an heart attack when it warns about
potential hacks as it has some false positives.

Also debsums check md5 sums of package files.

> >Nero Burn (CD/DVD bruning program)

k3b

> >Norton Anti-virus ( Is this even needed with Linux?)

Non-issue. Only needed if your computer acts as a mail gateway and you
want to scan emails for the other computers.

> >DRIVERS FOR:
> >	Soundblaster Audigy

alsa or oss probably.

> >	Lexmark Z13
> >	Canon i560

cups is good for printers (probably along with foomatic. From google it
seems that there is a linux driver for the z53 on the lexmark
site. Don't know about the canon i560.