/var/log/syslog and /var/log/daemon.log getting very big

Hi List,

I just experienced a pseudo denial of service issue. A server of ours runs woody and bind seems to have filled syslog and daemon.log with about 1.3g worth of messages along the lines of

Apr 18 18:25:38 server named[241]: sysquery: no addrs found for root NS (A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET) Apr 18 18:25:38 server named[241]: sysquery: no addrs found for root NS (B.ROOT-SERVERS.NET) Apr 18 18:25:38 server named[241]: sysquery: no addrs found for root NS (C.ROOT-SERVERS.NET)

This in itself was not much of issue except that logcheck started to eat up all the memory and the kernel starts to kill processes.

What I have done is to recreate syslog and daemon.log with the above lines stripped out with grep and restarted the the logging daemons. However, I would like to know how to prevent something like this from happening in the future.

Any help / pointers in this matter will be appreciated.

Thanks and best wishes,

Shri

Shri Shrikumar       U R Byte Solutions           Tel:   0845 644 4745
I.T. Consultant	     Edinburgh, Scotland          Mob:   0773 980 3499
                     Web: www.urbyte.com          Email: shri@urbyte.com