Re: udev, autofs & module loading

Michael Graham <oobermick@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

> cd /mnt/cdrom
>
> works as expected and the cdrom is mounted. But if the module hasn't
> been loaded then this fails
>
> bash: cd: /mnt/cdrom: No such file or directory
>
> because the device /dev/hdc does not exist yet and neither hotplug nor
> udev creates it.
>
> Is there away around this without adding the modules to /etc/modules?

>From what I've read on the hotplug mailing lists, Linux is going from
'load-module-at-first-use' to 'load-module-at-first-hw-detection'.
Basically, you have to load the modules for your hardware when it is
first inserted (or for built in hardware, like cdrom, at bootup),
because udev won't load the modules when you try to access the nodes
(unlike devfs).

--
John L. Fjellstad