Re: eth0 dissappeared after install

on Sat, 17 Apr 2004 01:58:11PM -0700, Sarah Trefethen insinuated:
> I installed a base image (testing, kernel 2.4.25-1) on a dell
> Latitude D500 (laptop with centrino package) with no problem.
> Essential hardware was all detected nicely and I was able to use my
> ethernet device to connect to my friendly local DHCP server and
> download additional packages and perform a full range of networky
> type tasks.
>
> After the first reboot, however, trying to bring up the ethernet
> devices yields this: "error when getting interface flags, no such
> device"
>
> Anyone have any hints for me?  I'm new to this.

make sure your /etc/network/interfaces has the eth0 stanza?  could be
something as simple as:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

if not, try just adding that, and then restarting networking with an
`/etc/init.d/networking restart`.

hth,

</nori>

--