Re: eth0 dissappeared after install

Sarah Trefethen wrote:
I installed a base image (testing, kernel 2.4.25-1) on a dell Latitude
D500 (laptop with centrino package) with no problem.  Essential hardware
was all detected nicely and I was able to use my ethernet device to
connect to my friendly local DHCP server and download additional packages
and perform a full range of networky type tasks.

After the first reboot, however, trying to bring up the ethernet devices
yields this: "error when getting interface flags, no such device"

Anyone have any hints for me?  I'm new to this.

It has been a while since I have done a "first reboot", but try the following:

Do you know which kernel module is required for your network card? If so, test it by "modprobe <module>", and if it works add it to /etc/modules.

If you don't know which module is required, execute 'modconf' (as root) to select the module that matches the description of your card.

dircha