Re: won't shut down: "acpi_power_off called"

I had a non-shutdown problem as well. I could tap the power switch and get
some "suspend" messages and then a real shutdown, but not automatic. The
thing used to work.

Somewhere along the line I commented out the following line in /etc/modules:
apm power_off=1

Restoring that line, the computer shuts down just fine (despite the fact that
the bootup sequence does not like the acpi configuration).