Re: dhcp

Mustafa Taha Al-Shawaf wrote:

Hi group,

I have a cable modem and router. At the moment, my debian box uses dhcp and asks the router for an ip everytime my machine boots up. Also, everyday my router gives my debian box a new ip. The thing is I want to use port forwarding to my comp so I can ssh in. I want to have my comp get the same ip everytime. From what I gather, I can do this, but I didn't understand the man pages to well. Also, the mini-howto at tldp.org doesn't cover debian too well. Does anyone know of a good dhcp reference for dhcp.

MA

Rather than doing this from the client side, you'd probably find it easier to do from the router side. You should be able to get into your router settings (probably via a web browser) and specify that your computer's MAC Address should always get IP Address x.y.z.a.

--
Kent