festival 1.4.3 is not working on debian testing

Hi all
I have always received wonderful advice from this group which successfully solved my previous problems. Thanks you all.

I installed festival 1.4.3, a speech synthesis system couple of days back. It is not working properly. This is what I did.

$echo 'Hello world' > temp
$festival --tts temp

when the last command is executed, I hear some sound but definitely not hello world. It sounds as if saying hello world at ultra-fast speed. Is there anything I need to tinker around before running festival? I googled a bit around but had no luck.

The sound on my computer is working fine. I can hear mp3s and play movies etc., so that's not the problem right?

I am not sure how to find out what sound card I am using. But lsmod gives this

i810_audio             21436   0
ac97_codec             11444   0 [i810_audio]
soundcore               3268   2 [i810_audio]

could someone please help me.
thanks in advance
raju

Home page: http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/kk288/index.html