Re: Why so complex?

On Fri, 2004-04-16 at 18:27 +0100, users@linuxforums.org wrote:

> I have a digital camera. I resolved the problem has follows:
> 1° - Compile the kernel with the SCSI emulation, USB support and USB
> mass storage support
> 2° Load all modules (edit /etc/modules to load them at boot time)
> 3° mount /dev/sd[abcd]1 /mnt/digitalcamera -t vfat
> The file system should be vfat because compatibility with windows
> (maybe).
>
> After done these steps yopu should access to the camera fs in
> /mnt/digitalcamera... ad was an external disk... No gphoto2 and other
> stuffs...
>
> It's better...

Not all cameras work are recognised as storage devices.  As a rule of
thumb, if Windows accesses it thru twain or a dedicated app, it's a job
for (lib)gphoto2 .. if it's recognised as a removable disk, it's a job
for usb-storage.

HTH,
  Shaun

( for cameras such as the Canon 300D, it may be easier to buy a flash
reader.  Remove the flash/microdrive card, pop it in the reader, and
it's a usb-storage device. )