Why so complex?

I have a digital camera. I resolved the problem has follows:
1° - Compile the kernel with the SCSI emulation, USB support and USB
mass storage support
2° Load all modules (edit /etc/modules to load them at boot time)
3° mount /dev/sd[abcd]1 /mnt/digitalcamera -t vfat
The file system should be vfat because compatibility with windows
(maybe).

After done these steps yopu should access to the camera fs in
/mnt/digitalcamera... ad was an external disk... No gphoto2 and other
stuffs...

It's better...
----