Re: Mail Server Design - ez

On 16 Apr 2004, Mariano Wahlmann wrote:

> I need some help, on designing a mail server solution (structure), my
> request are:
>
> -Users 4000+ aprox. with a growth rate of 20/users by month.
> -Each user has 15Mb of inbox.
> -Accesible by POP3 / IMAP (Only for Webmail who resides in other server)
> -Mail list (some of 4000+ users)
>
> I need a design solution for the server in wich resides mailboxes.
>
> I have two proposal:
>
> 1- One big expensive server with 1 SCSI disk, two processors.
> 2- Several cheaps servers, dividing mailboxes across servers.
>
> which is best solution?

thats an ez problem ...
	- lots of smaller cheaper servers is always best
	- if one box fails... who cares ...

	- think google, hotmail, and all those places
	( one cheap 486pc even, to front end for the users )
		- each itty bitty pc automounts just the
		users home dir and resources that is needed

	- a couple 2-3 big redundant servers for the /var/spool/mail
	and /home/USER since you allow imap

if one big box... you're !@#$% ... and you have zero control on
preventing the problem
	- what happens to your "services" if the disk dies ...
	- what happens to your "services" if one cpu fan dies
	- blah .. blah...

c ya
alvin