Re: Gnome-terminal and Meta keys

On 2004-04-16 11:09:30 -0700, Jan Medlock wrote:
> I have seperate Alt and Meta keys, which work correctly in X.  I am
> having trouble using Meta with gnome-terminal in unstable.  The
> resource 'XTerm*metaSendsEscape: true' causes xterm to do the right
> thing when sending Meta keys.  How can I get gnome-terminal to
> correctly send Meta keys?

I don't think there's any correct way to send Meta keys. Terminals
don't support the Meta information (except with a 7-bit character set
like ASCII, in which case the information can be stored in the 8th
bit -- this is what "XTerm*metaSendsEscape: false" does on Xterm).
But you can use the Meta key to provide some other information, like
typing the Escape key (this is what "XTerm*metaSendsEscape: true"
does). Anyway this is just a matter of choice.

100% validated (X)HTML - Acorn / RISC OS / ARM, free software, YP17,
Championnat International des Jeux Mathématiques et Logiques, etc.