Re: 2.6 kernel causing X to hang?

on Thu, 15 Apr 2004 11:25:15PM +0300, David Baron insinuated:
> Hey, at least you got the Java IDE to run!

heh.  yeah, but that's only after removing it (eclipse) and
reďnstalling it ... blah.

i want to love netbeans, but i haven't gotten the thing to work with
an external editor (vim!) yet.

> Mine (Netbeans) just kicks me off X entirely!

reliably?  weird.

> 2.6.5 is the best yet of the 2.6s but this still happens. I doubt if
> this is a kernel problem as my problem started with a XFree86
> upgrade.

hm, i'm still running version 4.1.0-16woody1 of xserver-xfree86, and
have never had problems with it with my 2.4 kernel ... leads me to
believe it's kernel-related.

> That might not be it either--the problem might relate to KDE visavis
> Java, permissions or firewall (Netbeans requires a connection to
> operate).

but i'm using fvwm and xdm ... no kde around here at all.

on Fri, 16 Apr 2004 08:25:36AM -0400, Bob Billson insinuated:
> > > a couple days ago, i upgraded from the 2.4.6 kernel to the 2.6.4
> > > kernel.  figured out a couple problems, and all seemed smooth.
> > >
> > > however, twice today -- both initially while using a java IDE --
> > > X has frozen, leaving whatever was last on the screen displayed
> > > up there and not showing the results of me doing anything to it.
>
> I can echo similar problems since switching to 2.6.4 and now 2.6.5.

<sigh> ... i just wanted the pretty 2.6 kernel!  oh well, looks like
this problem _is_ kernel-related.

> This is on a Debian box running the testing tree.  I more often
> experience the lock-up when GDM is running and no users logged it.
> Sometimes when I try to log in via X the machine will lock up tight
> as soon as I hit ENTER after entering my password.  GDM never exits
> and I can't get to any virtual console.  Sometimes the magic SysRq
> works to reboot, sometimes not.  And sometimes the machine is locked
> up and I can't type my user name.  It seems to be totally random
> when it happens.
>
> And to make it more interesting, sometimes (though less often) X
> will lock up while I'm using it.

this is when it's happened for me so far -- only when i'm using it.

> I'm not sure if this is a kernel or X problem.  It never happens if
> I switch back to 2.4.25.

me neither -- seems kernel-related.

</nori>

--