Re: 2.6 kernel causing X to hang?

> > a couple days ago, i upgraded from the 2.4.6 kernel to the 2.6.4
> > kernel.  figured out a couple problems, and all seemed smooth.
> >
> > however, twice today -- both initially while using a java IDE -- X has
> > frozen, leaving whatever was last on the screen displayed up there and
> > not showing the results of me doing anything to it.

I can echo similar problems since switching to 2.6.4 and now 2.6.5.  This
is on a Debian box running the testing tree.  I more often experience the
lock-up when GDM is running and no users logged it.  Sometimes when I try
to log in via X the machine will lock up tight as soon as I hit ENTER after
entering my password.  GDM never exits and I can't get to any virtual
console.  Sometimes the magic SysRq works to reboot, sometimes not.  And
sometimes the machine is locked up and I can't type my user name.
It seems to be totally random when it happens.

And to make it more interesting, sometimes (though less often) X will lock
up while I'm using it.

I'm not sure if this is a kernel or X problem.  It never happens if I
switch back to 2.4.25.

            bob
--
  bob billson        email: reb@bhive.dhs.org          ham: kc2wz   /)