Thanks, Adam: was Re: recovering from security kernel-image update

On Thursday 15 April 2004 21:14, Adam Aube wrote:
> Geoff Thurman wrote:
> > My system is broken following yesterday's security kernel-image
> > update. I am able to boot in using a rescue disk, but am unsure
> > what to do next. The obvious thing is to simply do an apt-get
> > update and upgrade and let the bad kernel get repaced by the one I
> > believe the security team have already sorted out for us, but I am
> > worried that this might somehow make matters worse. I'm sorry if
> > this is so obvious as to be stupid, but is there something else I
> > should do beforehand please?
>
> You already have a rescue disk in case the worst happens, so the only
> thing to do now is install the fixed kernel security update.
>
> Adam

Thanks, Adam; that reassured me. Finding my system to be unbootable for
the first time winded me a little, particularly as I had noticed that
the kernel update was too small but had gone ahead with it anyway.

Now it works fine, although it was less painless than I had hoped.
Unsure how to use Knoppix as a rescue disk I tried to use the Woody CD,
and found that I couldn't get ppp to work - I forget the error message.
But googling showed me how to do it with Knoppix, using chroot, and it
was straightforward and rewarding - except that I must have been online
for 35 minutes as root with no firewall, unfortunately, since it didn't
cross my mind to start shorewall up first. Whoops. No damage done
though, as far as I can see.

Thanks again,

Geoff