recovering from security kernel-image update

Dear all,

My system is broken following yesterday's security kernel-image update. I am
able to boot in using a rescue disk, but am unsure what to do next. The
obvious thing is to simply do an apt-get update and upgrade and let the bad
kernel get repaced by the one I believe the security team have already sorted
out for us, but I am worried that this might somehow make matters worse. I'm
sorry if this is so obvious as to be stupid, but is there something else I
should do beforehand please?

Thanks for any help,

Geoff