system wide fix for 'max user processes'/RLIMIT_NPROC?

For whatever reason debian stable somewhere somehow defaults to a RLIMIT_NPROC (max user processes) of 256. This is fine for a desktop but absurd for a server. I have yet to find a good way to fix this, but I still don't see what is changing it. It should be something like 7000 on the machines I'm trying to fix it on, so something inside of debian is changing it. My unstable boxes do not show this behaviour (they come up with unlimited, which is fine for my servers except my shell server).

I can't find where the heck this is getting set, nor even where to change it. Something is setting it different from the kernel default of max_threads / 2 (see kernel/fork.c) but i'll be deviled if i can find what. I can and do use pam_limits.so/limits.conf for logins, but for daemon startup I need to fix this and know it's not ending up at 256.

any help/ideas?

--
GPG/PGP --> 0xE736BD7E 5144 6A2D 977A 6651 DFBE 1462 E351 88B9 E736 BD7E