dpkg: error processing libpam-runtime (--configure):

I recently took over a Debian system whose previous owner had been using
"testing" apt-get sources.   For reasons that now make no sense even to me I
switched to "unstable" sources I had been using (without any apparent
problems) on my laptop for a year.

So - apt-get upgrade failed ------------

Preconfiguring packages ...
Setting up libpam-runtime (0.76-18) ...
dpkg: error processing libpam-runtime (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation scritp returned error exit status 1
 libpam-runtime

I'm now pointing to "testing" again but getting the same result.  I tried
running dpkg -i libpam-runtime.. from the command line and got
the same result.

# apt-get dist-upgrade does the same.

What could I do to elucidate the actual error message (from post-installation
script) itself?

# dpkg -l libpam-runtime\*
uppercase=bad)
||/ Name                      Version                   Description
iF  libpam-runtime            0.76-18                   Runtime support for
the PAM library

There's not much space in /var - 15Meg

I realise it's unlikely that anyone can answer such an unspecified question,
but maybe someone has an idea?

Michael