Re: dpkg: error processing libpam-runtime (--configure):

On (16/04/04 17:11), Michael Linton wrote:
> I recently took over a Debian system whose previous owner had been using
> "testing" apt-get sources.   For reasons that now make no sense even to me I
> switched to "unstable" sources I had been using (without any apparent
> problems) on my laptop for a year.
>
> So - apt-get upgrade failed ------------
>
> Preconfiguring packages ...
> Setting up libpam-runtime (0.76-18) ...
> dpkg: error processing libpam-runtime (--configure):
>  subprocess post-installation scritp returned error exit status 1
>  libpam-runtime
>
> I'm now pointing to "testing" again but getting the same result.  I tried
> running dpkg -i libpam-runtime.. from the command line and got
> the same result.
>
> # apt-get dist-upgrade does the same.
>
> What could I do to elucidate the actual error message (from post-installation
> script) itself?
If you search the archives http://lists.debian.org/search.html there was
a thread on this recently.  Subject: libpam-runtime is broken in
unstable

Go to: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=243426

The fix is to touch /etc/pam.d/other.pre-upgrade and then your upgrade
will continue.

HTH

Clive

--