Re: branding debian releases

> I dislike the old and miserable/poor look of it, reminds me of old dos
boxes
> or a blue screen :-)
> I dislike the poor information you sometimes get out of it (not true for
> every inst. step though)

Isn't this down to personal preference tho' - the last time I installed RH
or Mandrake it had a console only mode as an option...

> No I'm not I used VC20, C64, Amiga500, HP-UX Systems, Macintosh, PPC and
> PC's... but I'm glad that we have such powerful systems now, so why stick
> the old crap?

:-) The "old crap" really flies on new hardware, this is the same as having
faster CPU's and loading the latest M$ OS that requires more resources...

> I don't argue only on the functionality I argue on the looks. I never used
> dselect because I still fear doing something wrong. I'm a little bit angry

Wrong in what way?? I always found dselect very straightforward..
Select a package, read the description and choose to install it or not .. it
automatically tells you if there are
dependencies and resolves them for you. Nice and simple.

> when I know that on other systems like rh I simply press the mouse button
> and i can (de)select packages without writing down 10 fancy keystrokes,
this
> is too time consuming. Reminds me of my first experiences with vi. Time is

But I don't have a mouse on my headless servers... :-)

> an issue and also the easy-to-install thing. So whenever dselect pops up
and
> asks if it should be run I'm like "HELL NO!!!"
>At the moment I even won't use tasksel but only install basic system and
> then run the apt-get. But remember, I'm talking about the first experience
> with debian, not people like you who are used to it.

To be honest I don't use Tasksel either ... I also do the basic install then
dselect or apt-get (depending on what I am installing).  But I don't see it
being a problem.

> May sound lazy too, and yes I'm a lazy guy. If my boss tells me to setup
an
> apache server and tells me to use debian because the cust would like to
have
> especially this distri well heck I'm stuck in the installation routine for
> hours trying to figure out how dselect works. GREAT :-( And the main part,

..install a basic system (< 10 mins) then apt-get install apache! :-)

> I install every system on my own and I doubt that someone like my sister

Likewise .. I have installed every computer I have owned since 1995 (ish)..

> would be able to do a successfull installtion with debian and X. But she
> succesfully reinstalled win2000 on her own, without me even knowing it....

My wife managed to install Debian, and she is not the most computer literate
person around...she likes to play Majong and a few other things, writes the
odd letter etc. - doesn't know about the internals, just a regular user.

> sorry you can't seriously tell me that it's simpler to install debian then
> wintendo, ah c'mooooooooon ;o) (we don't have to talk about the os itself,
> I'm on your side I hate this crash and burn system ;-)

I believe it is ... I can install a fully functional debian system in less
time than a Windows 2000 one.
All hardware detected and running, no extrenous crap to remove - no constant
reboots for each security update - the list goes on!

> And to get away from M$ ("winzigweich") you should try a RH and SuSe
install
> and then judge for yourself..... which install looks nicer? which
installer
> is simpler to use for the average user? which installer has tons of
> information on any subject you can click with your mouse?

Just because the installer is prettier, doesn't make it better..
I have installed SUSE 9 today, yes it looks good - but I don't need a GUI to
install an OS.
I agree that these things have their place, but then we all have a choice
too - personally, like I stated before, I like the current installer and
find it quick and easy to use & get a systemup and running in as short a
period of time as possible.

I agree that some people may be initially disorientated when presented with
a console screen for installation, but then I think we have been spoilt by
fancy graphics, mice and windows! :-)

This, like so many other things, comes down to personal choice I guess - and
right now there is no choice. Having said that, one of the reasons I
initially chose Debian was that the installation was clean and simple! Goes
to show how much attitudes towards this sort of thing have changed over the
past few years.

Cheers,

Pete.