Re: Audio HOWTO?

On Friday 16 April 2004 01:52 am, Markus Lindström wrote:

Hi there,

I was wondering if someone could pinpoint me to some (easy) guide for
getting the audio to work in Debian. I'm currently running Sarge, and
have a SBLive card (should use the emu10k1 module). I need to know what
packages are needed and so on, because I have no idea where to begin.

Hello Markus,

Download the alsa packages.
Synaptic will give you fairly full descriptions of them.
Run alsaconf, which will install the snd_emu10k1 module for you.
I think the straight emu10k1 only works with the OSS setup, which is inferior, and I had a lot of trouble installing, anyway. Then run alsamixer, unmuting the channels appropriate for your particular setup. There is another package called alsamixergui, which will give you handy access from the desktop if you think you need it. Make sure you are added to the user group, log out and back in again, and you should have sound.
There is some good information on the alsa site, which google will give you.
Regards,

David.