Re: Audio HOWTO?

Hello

Markus Lindström (<mlindstr@ulb.ac.be>) wrote:
> Mike Chandler wrote:
>> On Friday 16 April 2004 01:52 am, Markus Lindström wrote:
>>
>>>I was wondering if someone could pinpoint me to some (easy) guide for
>>>getting the audio to work in Debian. I'm currently running Sarge, and
>>>have a SBLive card (should use the emu10k1 module). I need to know
>>>what packages are needed and so on, because I have no idea where to
>>>begin.
>>>
>> I have the same setup as you, and what I have found, by installing
>> and re-installing several times, using sarge netinst 100mb CD.
>> 1) My sound card is ALWAYS detected and the proper module (emu10k1)
>> is loaded. 2) In each install, I have had to simply add my user to
>> the "audio" group. 3) no further fussing has been required.
>>
> Hmmm... Doesn't seem to work! I don't get any sound, even as root.
> Which kernel modules are needed to make it work? And what else could
> be the trouble?

You need the emu10k1 module. Try to load it:
modprobe emu10k1

To load it at boot time, try

echo emu10k1 >> /etc/modules

To load it when it is needed, add a line

alias sound-slot-0 emu10k1

to /etc/modutils/aliases (Kernel 2.4) or /etc/modprobe.d/aliases (Kernel
2.6) and run update-modules

Grüße
        Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270