Re: Dynamically increase/reduce hardware raid partition?

on Tue, Apr 13, 2004 at 10:05:25PM -0700, Alvin Oga (aoga@ns.Linux-Consulting.com) wrote:

> hi ya
>
> On Wed, 14 Apr 2004, Michael Bellears wrote:
>
> > I have just installed Debian 3 on a Smart Array 6400 (4 disks (146.8G
> > each) Raid 5) - This gives me a data partition of 409G.
>
> that's pretty bad ... i'd have expected somewhere around 3x 146gb
> of usable space

That's what he got, Alvin, if you'd do your math:

  146.8 * 3 * 0.95 == 418.38

The results above indicate about an 8% reserve.  That's pretty much
standard.  Of course, a few percent of several hundred GiB is still
several GiB, but my understanding is that you _want_ this reserve to
allow for keeping file fragmentation low.

Peace.

    It's too late to shut the stable-door after the horse has bolted.