Re: ssh connection closed

on Tue, Apr 13, 2004 at 04:42:40PM +0200, Vincent Lefevre (vincent@vinc17.org) wrote:
> Could someone explain the following behavior, i.e. the fact that the
> ssh connection closes after 10 minutes? Until yesterday, I didn't
> have any problem (but my machine ay isn't connected by the same ADSL
> account). TIA.

Could be you've got an intermediate router that's dropping you, possibly
after ten minutes' idle time.

I'd added the following line to /etc/init.d/networking:

    networking:     # set keepalives to 5 minutes rather than 3 hours
    networking:     echo 300 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_keepalive_time

...to counter a similar problem.

If you're dealing with a *hard* session timeout of 10 minutes, I'd
advise you to learn to love screen.

Peace.

    Ever wonder why they call them call centers and not help centers?
    - David Zeit