Module /usr/src/modules/bcm4400 failed (ahh no network)

I am trying ot install debian onto my laptop which has the broadcomm 4400
network card.  I went ahead and installed debian but of course I have no
network because it is not in the 2.4.18 kernel that comes with it.    I
downloaded the the bcm4400-source package from testing burned to a cd and
copied copied it to my machine.  Installed the 2.4.18 kernel from the
woody disks and compiled the kernel and did a make-kpkg modules.  I got
tons of errors with this modules stuff like 'pUmDevice' undeclared.  So
now I am sol, without network i can't upgrade very easily.  How can I get
network ????