Re: lookit does not start on bootup

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 20:59:20 -0400, S.Squarepants
<spongebob@200motels.com> wrote:

> While there may be a tool for it (I really don't know), that isn't the
> best way to do it IMHO. What would you do if you ending up sitting at a
> Fedora or Slackware box in the future that is missing the same tool?
>
> Simply:
>
> # mv /etc/rc?.d/S00lokkit /etc/rc?.d/S99lokkit
>
> (Change numbering accordingly, and the "?" applies to the runlevel being
> manipulated.)
>
> Done. Works on every platform. Will always work as long as the init
> structure that is in-use today remains the standard.
>
> If a graphical or other tool makes you more comfortable, by all means
> use the tool. But I'd suggest learning to do without those tools as well
> so you can rescue things when the tool isn't there, doesn't work or
> can't be accessed.

Actually, I was thinking of just changing the postinstall script or
whatever and rebuilding the package.

Hmm, yes, lokkit.postinst has

if [ -x "/etc/init.d/lokkit" ]; then
        update-rc.d lokkit defaults 01 99 >/dev/null

If it does solve the problem, I'll follow up to my earlier Debian bug
report. I will probably want to install this on other systems, and I
don't want to have to manually fiddle with symbolic links all the
time.

Though you are right, you ought not be overly dependent on your tools.
But ask yourself what you would do if one horrible day apt disappeared
from Debian.

                                                           Faheem.