Re: lookit does not start on bootup

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 00:18:00 +0000 (UTC)
Faheem Mitha <faheem@email.unc.edu> wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 00:58:55 -0500, S.Squarepants
> <spongebob@200motels.com> wrote:
>
> > I have no idea if this will help you or not, but I once had a
> > problem with some other things that failed to work prior to the
> > network being up. I doubt that's the case here, but it still might
> > rely on something else that needs to load first.
> >
> > Try changing the "S" numbers to something higher. Maybe start at
> > S99, and if that works try it again at S50 or something till you get
> > it in the right range.
> >
> > Redhat used to have the same problem (don't know if Fedora fixed it)
> > with pcmcia. It would start /after/ networking, so the network
> > wouldn't come up because the card needed for it wasn't initializing
> > until later on in the boot process.
> >
> > HTH, but I have no idea whether it will or not.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion. It is possible that this is the problem,
> and I'll investigate it. S1 does seem rather low. First I'll need to
> learn the recommended way to manipulate runtime links in Debian. If I
> remember correctly, there is some tool to do specifically this.
>
>                                                               Faheem.

While there may be a tool for it (I really don't know), that isn't the
best way to do it IMHO. What would you do if you ending up sitting at a
Fedora or Slackware box in the future that is missing the same tool?

Simply:

# mv /etc/rc?.d/S00lokkit /etc/rc?.d/S99lokkit

(Change numbering accordingly, and the "?" applies to the runlevel being
manipulated.)

Done. Works on every platform. Will always work as long as the init
structure that is in-use today remains the standard.

If a graphical or other tool makes you more comfortable, by all means
use the tool. But I'd suggest learning to do without those tools as well
so you can rescue things when the tool isn't there, doesn't work or
can't be accessed.

--
Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?
SpongeBob Squarepants